Friday 28 March 2008

The Argonauts @ Gramophone, March 13 2008

Why?
I was in Liverpool writing a piece for an exciting publication (ooh!) loosely based on the music scene there. Thus I found myself in 3345, the private(ish) members club attached to the Parr St Studios, managed by the lovely Thom Lang. Every Thursday they run an acoustic night there, and The Argonauts were topping the bill. Somehow or other, their manager saw me scribbling in my pad, and must have assumed I was some kind of music journo. Either way, he managed to get my email from somewhere and send me a message saying hello. He even sent me their album, and invited me to see them, plugged in, in London. Which I did.

The Venue
This was my first time at The Gramophone. A very odd place indeed. A weird amalgam of lovely brick arches and annoying hotel mood lighting. The crowd were of a default Top Man art school stock. A really nice space done badly- a little too much slick. Truth be told; there are dozens upon dozens of better pubs in the East End...such as the 10 Bells and Commercial Tavern on the same road. But the downstairs gig space is a good one, with more brick arches wrapped around columns; space for 100 at a guess. Small rooms mean tricky acoustics and lost vocals, but give me a small cellar over a huge hall any day. There were about 30 people there.

What they look like
The Argonauts are three Home Counties boys who have known each other since they were six. And they look it. The drummer, Terry Swain (above, centre), is a Boy Next Door with a tight t-shirt and strangely captivating lips that protrude and curl when he sings. Daniel Fell (left), the bass player has geeky shoes worn on feet perennially at 90 degrees to each other, a music teacher foot-tap, and a bit of a gait. The guitarist, James Eaton (right), looks like he cares more than the other two, and wears a check rockabilly shirt. The effect is rather refreshing and, like their music, shows that the Argonauts don't think they are cooler than you. Give me this over a troupe of skinny-jeaned Doherty-a-likes any day.

The Music
The Argonauts are far from the modish crowd, playing poppy Beatles-style melodies with early Beatles-syle harmonies over the top that sound superb when they click. Rhythm and Blues in the purest sense, I guess. And at times there is determinable soul, of I Want You (She's So Heavy) ilk. They aren't trying to pander, they are playing what they enjoy listening to. Most of the time they all sing simultaneously - something you don't see too often these days. There is very little banter in between songs (this is ok- I suspect it would be bad), and they lead into a track with the last chords of the previous. Everything is very much driven by the bassist and the drummer- who at times is a virtuoso. One of the best drummers I can remember seeing actually- the fills were very tight. Occasionally they go a little flat (forgive them this- singing harmonies in tricky acoustics isn't easy), and occasionally the bassist's voice sounds a little American teen-angsty, where by “I'm here” becomes “I'm heee-yah”. Beautiful Innovator is the best track, and their finale sounds almost psychedelic, evoking The Who's Quadrophenia.

Conclusion
The Argonauts are very endearing. The music is really nice, harmonious stuff. They aren't trying to challenge you, pander to trends, or adhere to fashion. Which is why, tragically, they probably won't get anywhere. Anyone looking for a drummer?

No comments: